Saturday, August 4, 2012

Careless Writing or Clueless?

    What well-published writer would appreciate being labeled a third or fourth-grader? I read popular novelists, some who have 30-40 books published, and conclude they weren't paying attention in language arts--otherwise known in the old days as English class--my favorite subject from third grade on. Not only am I frustrated at how frequently I read gross grammatical errors, but I wonder why it wasn't caught or corrected before the book went to print? My choice of Larger Print makes every word stand out on the page. And I cringe. I huff and I puff in exasperation when I see (often} that the author doesn't know the difference between bring (to) and take (away). Or how to use sit and sat. Or
lie and lay. Oh, woe is me! I learned all that in third grade and I'd read with a less critical eye and way more pleasure if I didn't have to play editor. Those writing books may offer clues. But who is reading them? Not the careless writer, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment